- The game is played with 2 or 4 players (preferably 4).
- The boards are to be placed 27 feet apart (front to front). Amateurs may play at a distance of 24 feet and juniors at a distance of 20 feet.
- Team partners face each other from opposite boards.
- Play starts at either board with all eight bags.
- Each team plays with a set of 4 bags. Each team has its own color.
- Opponents alternate tosses until all 8 bags are played.
- The round is then scored (see scoring).
- After scoring the round repeat play from the opposite board. The scoring team from the previous round throws first.
- Players cannot cross the foul line. The foul line is an imaginary line extending from the front of the boards.
- The first team to 21 or more points wins!
- A team earns 1 point for a bag on the board. If any part of a bag is touching the ground after it stops moving, it does not score a point. If a bag touches the ground before landing on the board, it must be removed from the board before play resumes.
- A team earns 3 points for a bag that goes completely through the hole.
- The score for each round is determined by calculating the difference between the team totals for the round. For example, if Team-A throws 1 bag into the hole, 1 on the board, and 2 off the board, then it is a total of 4 points. If Team-B throws 1 bag on the board and 3 off the board, its total is 1 point. The score of the round is the difference between the two totals. In this case, Team-A scored 3 pints (4-1=3).